Heated, filled, and then folded – Piada flatbreads are a local delicacy from the heart of Emilia Romagna. In this northern Italian region you will find Piada (or Piadina) being prepared and served hot by street vendors as on-the-go sandwiches and snacks. At Crosta & Mollica, we have brought this delightfully versatile and authentic street-food straight from the bakeries of Italy to the UK.
Follow the recipe below to enjoy a taste of the Mediterranean at home:
1 Crosta & Mollica Piada Golden Durum Wheat
1/2 mozzarella ball
3 slices of Parma ham
A handful of rocket
Olive oil to drizzle
Preparation time: 10 mins
Total time required: 10 mins
- Place a Crosta & Mollica Piada in a hot dry frying pan for 1 minute on each side or put in a preheated oven at 180°C or gas mark 4 for 3 minutes.
- Whilst the Piada is warming, drain and slice a half a ball of mozzarella and tear up the slices of Parma ham.
- Remove the Piada from the pan or oven and place on a plate or chopping board. Leave the Piada flatbread completely flat in order to add the fillings.
- Top one half of the Piada with slices of mozzarella, the Parma ham and some rocket leaves. Then drizzle some olive oil over the ingredients for extra flavour.
- Fold the un-topped half of the Piada over the fillings and press down to fold the sandwich completely.
- Serve warm, folded or cut in half to enjoy.